If you, like me grew in the the 90s you will remember a hit kids tv show called Cianan and Kel where Kel used the phrase at least a dozen times “who loves orange soda, I love orange soda as he chugged a few litres of orange soda. But I am going to tell you 5 compelling reasons why you need to stop drinking fizzy drinks, and here is a bonus one, YOUR NOT A KID, GROW UP!
1. Soda contains zero nutrients, and is high in calories and sugar. Several studies show a strong link between soda consumption and obesity and diabetes. In fact soda not only has soda got zero nutrients but suppresses the appetite so you are less likely to eat nourishing foods. Soda drinkers are less likely to get the recommended levels of vitamin A, calcium, magnesium, and other important nutrients.
2. Phosphorus, a common ingredient in soda, can deplete bones of calcium. Females who drink more soda are more prone to broken bones. Doctors are becoming concerned about the health impact of carbonated beverage consumption on teen-aged girls.
3. Studies show a direct link between tooth decay and soda. Not only does the sugar cause cavities, the acids in soda etch off tooth enamel. Acid can begin to dissolve tooth enamel in only 20 minutes. Dentists are reporting complete loss of the enamel on the front teeth in teen-aged boys and girls who habitually drink sodas.
4. Caffeine is known to create physical dependence and upsets the normal balance of neurochemistry in the developing brains of children. Caffeine stimulates the adrenal gland without providing the nourishment it needs. In large amounts, caffeine can lead to adrenal exhaustion, especially in children. Colas contain 35 to 38 milligrams of caffeine per 12-ounce can. Diet colas often contain a lot more. A can of Pepsi One has about 56 milligrams of caffeine. Mountain Dew, Mello Yellow, Sun Drop, Jolt, Barq’s Root Beer, and Sunkist Orange soda all contain caffeine. Sprite, 7-Up, ginger ale, and many brands of root beer are caffeine-free.
5. Aspartame, used in diet sodas, is a potent brain toxin and endocrine disrupter while the citric acid, often found in soda, may contain traces of MSG. MSG is another potent brain toxin and finally drinking sodas regularly can upset the fragile, acid-alkaline balance of the stomach, creating a continuous acid environment. This prolonged acid environment can lead to inflammation of the stomach and duodenal lining, which can be quite painful. Do you still want to drink soda?